Tuesday, January 10, 2012

SGNA Board Meeting — January 10, 2012

Present:

Board:  Britt, Lew, Jackleen, Dan, Stephan, Kari, Carol, Chris, Brenn

Others:  Lee, Shoshana, Teresa (new to Gulch), Marcelo, Officers Anderson and McCalister, PDX Police Dept.

-Officers update:  Theft not up from last year.  Cars getting stolen at theatre and dumped in the Gulch. A couple of pedestrian robberies by Safeway.  Transients have seemingly been pushed downtown and are not being seen so much in our area.  Albina fuel property is being patrolled and when they are arrested, they are released in 4 hours and right back.

-Approved Minutes from last month. 

-66 people were cited and 44 cars were towed (tow pick up is $165 if within 1 hour and $250 after that).  Debate about why the vote was to tow rather than give warnings.  Resident,  Marcelo was here, upset about being towed, even though his car was not working at the time and he has no trees on his property.  Question from him is "Will the Board write a letter of support for him at the court date?"  Chris motioned that a letter from the Board will be written, Carol seconds the letter, Kari asks "therefore we are to write letters for the other 43 residents?"  Britt agrees, yet states non of the others' have come forward.  Letter, to ask the Judge to forgive all or part of the towing fine due to his financial hardship.  5 in favor, 1 opposed, 4 sustaining.

-Treasurer's Report:  $5,005.98 current balance  
Britt appreciates Kari prudence in applying dollars during last meeting and how valuable her thoughts and statements are to the board.

-Safety:  Brenn stated that the next emergency preparedness meeting will be January 19th, 6:30-8 at Brenn's Blend Studio in the Lloyd Center.

-Communications:  Chris would like someone to volunteer to take over the newsletter

-Lifestyles:  Stephan says nothing much going on until spring and summer.
Dan asked about Stephan amping up the soup nights and making them more often.  Stephan reminded everyone of the Soup night coordinator asking that the SGNA remain separate from the soupnight gatherings last year.

-Trail News:  Senior Center from 6-8pm January 11th.  Maps, presentations, and more.  Dan said that Brad Perkins, representing the Trail Committee, would like a letter from our board (and Irvington N.A. as well) supporting the trail and also a letter to PDC to assign any available funding to the process of the trail in their District.  Kari suggests that the letter be from Dan's perspective and his agenda, rather than Brad's.  Dan will write a letter and submit to our Board for acceptance regarding said issues.

-Land Use:  Fred Meyer remodel and Wasco/28th crossing.  We don't have a slam dunk from PDOT to have them impose the upgrading of crossing on Fred Meyer, but do have enough information to go to Fred Meyer and continue the request.  Federal Consumer Safety standards will be met on the playground upgrades being done by Fred Meyer on their playground.

N-NE Quadrant, talking with NEBBA and NECN about setting up a meeting with the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to the area regarding setting perimeters and discussing the vision for the corridor and the future of the area and what the possibilities are.

KAL Properties still overseas the Albina property.  Britt suggests its simply lying dormant until the time that its ready for use.  TriMet using it for a MAX stop will be costly for them due to the need for multi level building and elevators.

Parking Permit district information.  3 different alternatives for the parking permit district.  A study must be done to examine the necessity for and the boundary possibilities.  Once a boundary is approved, 50% of the residents would have to sign on and say they want it, then the application goes to the city/PDOT and they make final decision to move forward o not.  If the TriMet fare less square goes away there is no need for the parking permits aren't needed.  The 3 Options, 41-48-52 block faces for the parking boundaries will be emailed to the Board.  There is concern that a study was done in the neighborhood to survey the impact of those parking in our neighborhoods then riding MAX in the free zone.  Chris gave Britt Will Elder's number to contact him and find out where that study is. Britt asked that the Board support he and Carol is sending the information forward to Murray and NEBBA to get their feedback on the possibilities.  All agreed.

-NECN:  Solar panels for homes will be bought in bulk and the information will be available on the NECN website.  January 19th committee meeting.  Economic Development Forums are coming up February 1 is on High Level Development.  April 3 is on small organizations and economic development.  May 1is a workshop style event to discuss what is going on in individual communities.  Candidate Forums coming up, and dates are posted on NECN website.   www.necoalition.org  Shoshana requested that board members email her with any questions, suggestions, or personal experiences regarding Solarize or the above.  

New Seasons on Fremont, part of the old Wonder Bread site, will have their pre-application conference in a week.  It will take sometime before they can break ground.

-Board Member Retreat:  February 11th, 2-6pm, 15-16 people, Stephan has accepted responsibility to plan and coordinate location and food, Linda has volunteered to assist.  Lew will check on possible rooms at Holladay.  Shoshana will provide discussion questions and meeting planning to Britt.                                                                                                                                   
-Brenn asked if anyone had any ideas for the Secretarial position.  No one had an answer.  A motion was made to elect Brenn to Secretary, second, and third, she declined.                                         
Comments and corrections to these minutes should be addressed within 24 hours of this email.  Otherwise, the content stands until approved or amended at the next official meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 9:13pm.

SGNA Community Board Meeting Tonight!

  1. Sullivan's Gulch Neighborhood Association
    Tentative Agenda for Board Meeting Tuesday, January, 10 2012

    1. Welcome to Board Members, Neighbors and Guests - introductions.
  2. Agenda - review of and additions to Agenda
  3. Meeting Minutes - review of, comments regarding, and acceptance of previous meeting's'' minutes.
  4. Consideration of Visitor's reports - Portland Police, etc.
  5. Leaf collection & towing
  6. - discussion, recount of experience
  7. - invitation to City representative to speak
  8. - Complaints from neighbors
  1. Treasurer Report
  2. Safety and Emergency Preparedness Report
  3. Report - Pending SGNA Grant Proposals, and Upcoming Potential Grant Proposals
  4. LUPC Report 
  5. - progress report - Permit Parking District, presentation of proposed boundaries
  6. - progress report - 28th AVenue Crossing/Fred Meyer Re-model
  7. - suggest possible topic would be joint meeting with NEBBA and Irvington Land  Use
  8. - discussion regarding community input on Broadway/Weidler land use and pedestrian improvements (Charrette?)
  1. Communications - discussion of suggestions for next year for publicity, announcements, participation, etc.
  2. Planning for the Board Retreat
- Appoint committee to plan event
- Possibility of using Garden Room at Holladay Park Plaza;
- Suggestion for meeting at local restaurant for a morning or afternoon
- NECN Support 
- Shoshanna Cohen has offered to help us define the goals/agenda
- hire a facilitator thru the neighborhood mediation group (possibly $250 expense)
- Possible goals for the retreat - 
- get better acquainted with each Board member
- review of basic operating procedures of Board and Committees
- review overall goal of SGNA (neighborhood livability)
- define what we're doing to help achieve it
- identify each Board members interest/passion about the Gulch
  1. Agenda - review of items added at beginning of meeting
    - First notice on setting Spring General Meeting date and agenda
  2. Concluding Comments
  3. Adjourn

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sullivan's Gulch Trail Open House next Wednesday

Want a trail to bike, run, or walk directly from NE Portland to Downtown?
The Sullivan's Gulch Trail would provide a safe and direct pedestrian and bicycle thoroughfare from I-205 to downtown Portland.
 Come to the next open house and learn about the concept plan progress, connections to the community, and details of the trail.
 When: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 from 6-8 p.m.; Presentations at 6:30 and 7:30 p.m.
Where: Hollywood Senior Center1820 NE 40th Ave.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

SGNA Community Board Meeting Tuesday, January 10th

  1. Sullivan's Gulch Neighborhood Association
    Tentative Agenda for Board Meeting Tuesday, January, 10 2012

    1. Welcome to Board Members, Neighbors and Guests - introductions.
  2. Agenda - review of and additions to Agenda
  3. Meeting Minutes - review of, comments regarding, and acceptance of previous meeting's'' minutes.
  4. Consideration of Visitor's reports - Portland Police, etc.
  5. Leaf collection & towing
  6. - discussion, recount of experience
  7. - invitation to City representative to speak
  8. - Complaints from neighbors
  1. Treasurer Report
  2. Safety and Emergency Preparedness Report
  3. Report - Pending SGNA Grant Proposals, and Upcoming Potential Grant Proposals
  4. LUPC Report 
  5. - progress report - Permit Parking District, presentation of proposed boundaries
  6. - progress report - 28th AVenue Crossing/Fred Meyer Re-model
  7. - suggest possible topic would be joint meeting with NEBBA and Irvington Land Use
  8. - discussion regarding community input on Broadway/Weidler land use and pedestrian improvements (Charrette?)
  1. Communications - discussion of suggestions for next year for publicity, announcements, participation, etc.
  2. Planning for the Board Retreat
- Appoint committee to plan event
- Possibility of using Garden Room at Holladay Park Plaza;
- Suggestion for meeting at local restaurant for a morning or afternoon
- NECN Support 
- Shoshanna Cohen has offered to help us define the goals/agenda
- hire a facilitator thru the neighborhood mediation group (possibly $250 expense)
- Possible goals for the retreat - 
- get better acquainted with each Board member
- review of basic operating procedures of Board and Committees
- review overall goal of SGNA (neighborhood livability)
- define what we're doing to help achieve it
- identify each Board members interest/passion about the Gulch
  1. Agenda - review of items added at beginning of meeting
    - First notice on setting Spring General Meeting date and agenda
  2. Concluding Comments
  3. Adjourn


Saturday, December 17, 2011

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Healing Waters In Danger of Closing

I'm writing to let everyone know that Healing Waters at 2426 NE Broadway St. is indanger of closing if they don't get enough business this month.  

There will be a silent Auction Fundraiser Benefit on Thursday, December 15th 5-8pm  and
Friday, December 16th  6-9pm 

Healing Waters has been an amazing space for me. You can go there to meditate, see talks, or just hang out.  

If you can't spend money there, head over n offer to donate time, Offer a product for the auction, or write a testimonial and I'll make sure that Joan gets it.  

Here's the website http://www.livingsacred.com/ 

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Reminder: Leaf Pick Up This Friday

Don't forget to move ALL vehicles off the street the Thursday night, since the City crews may get an early start in your part of the Gulch. This includes people who have opted-out of the leaf pick up itself.

SGNA Community Board Meeting Tonight!

Agenda for Sullivan's Gulch Neighborhood Association Board Meeting 
Tuesday, December 13, 2011

At Holladay Park Plaza, 1300 NE 16th Ave. — please check in with receptionist

1. Welcome to Board Members, Neighbors and Guests- introductions. 

2. Agenda- review of and additions to Agenda 

3. Meeting Minutes- review of and comments regarding, and acceptance of previous meeting minutes. 

4. Election of Board Officers- Board Leadership Plan- interim and/or permanent

5. Committee Reports- Treasurer, Communications, Land Use Planning, Events, Safety and Emergency Preparedness

6. Pending SGNA Grant Proposals, and Upcoming Potential Grant Proposals 

7. Consideration of SGNA donations- Janus Youth Projects (young women's shelter in neighborhood) and to the Grace Episcopal Church for their senior lunch program

8. New business- consideration of items added at beginning of meeting 

9. Concluding Comments 

10. Adjourn

For information and additions, please contact 503-313-1320